Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Papa's Words from the Service

As you may have seen, I have put some links on the right hand side of this blog. It contains comments from myself and Brad from the funeral services, as well as quick links to Julie and Ethan's letter to Noah.
I am posting Papa's words he spoke from the funeral here. They are encouraging and hopeful, yet give us a glimpse into the mind of a hurting father.


Noah's Day - May 14, 2005

While I can still talk, I want to express to this church family at First Colony, to the our church family that meets at Sugar Grove, and to believers from lots of corners how wonderful your prayerful support for our family has been. There have been cards and calls and personal visits, food and monetary assistance, blogs and private prayer sessions all combining to hold us up. A simple thank you falls way short, but it will have to suffice until we can return the kindness.

We're not going to dwell on the sadness of this day, but on the unimaginable joy that comes to parents through the lives of believing children. There are age groups and varied family make-ups present today, but I'm interested in presenting the perspective of an old grandpa to the parents who still have children in your home.

With the birth of Noah, the tradition of verbally placing the new cousin into God's hands was continued. Really, well before his birth, every family prayer was for his well being; that he would grow up into a servant for God. Little did we know how very tall he would grow in nine short days. Noah's life has served to lift up the Savior so the scripture that goes "if I be lifted up, I will draw all men to me" could be experienced by more people than just our church families. The out pouring of people all around the country testifying of their willingness to speak to God on behalf of Noah and our family is evidence of the uniting power available through prayer.

I'm pretty amazed at what I've seen in my children throughout this time. Their faith in God to take care of and finally receive their son and nephew Noah has been a blessing any parent would be overjoyed to see in their children. The question has arisen several times about how they could hold up in the face of such a tragedy. My only conclusion is that's the way they have always behaved. Trusting God starts way early in a Christian home. Through the examples and teachings of family and Christian friends and teachers, children see and experience God in the lives of those who love Him. They realize that they themselves were placed in God's hands when they first arrived on this earth. It is comforting, uplifting, and steadfast for them to know that Jesus really does love them. Like many of you, Donna and I started our kids out on a walk with God from the earliest time it was safe to bring them to church and even today with our encouragement. We insisted on their attendance on Sunday nights before we knew it still counted even if you didn't come to the building.

Family traditions are an important part of raising and teaching children. I was so very fortunate to raised by Christian parents and lots of "church" parents. It got to be a pretty awesome family environment. However, at the time, it felt like everyone was watching me…I guess in fact they were.

The words found in Proverbs 22 "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it" keep coming back to me. At one time it loosely meant that children would come back from their adolescent sojourn to rejoin the flock. After the events of these past two weeks, the way in which I've seen that scripture come to life in my three children and their spouses far exceeds my wildest expectations.

The blog site was started because our kids knew of only one way to begin to handle the challenges of Noah's condition. Reaching out to other Christians was not a sign of strength, but a plea for strength that comes from the combined prayers of the community of believers.

There is such an extreme of emotions at this time in our lives, but what I cling to is a joy and peace that fills my being with thanksgiving because of the Christian example my children are to me … and maybe a few others. I acknowledge that all things work together for good to those who love the Lord, but it's been a real stretch these past few days to understand it.

That's why I'm up here…to tell you of the good things that await faithful parents. I want you to know that you have in your job description the charge to raise Godly children. You will model a lifestyle founded in the belief that God can do anything. Your children will grow up watching you turn to God for both the celebrations and the problems.

But the gift to accomplish that task will not come from your perfection. I speak from experience! They will hear some phrases slide out of your mouth that you later can't take back, they will see frustrations that almost wear you down, sorrows inside your family and in the families of your friends that seem so unfair, they'll see you kick things, throw things, break things, cut off other drivers in unmanageable traffic, they will even hear you disagree with the preacher, get mad at the elders, and sometime change churches all in an attempt to cope. But most of all, they'll see you continually seek God for His guidance and direction for your family. They'll see Christian friends rise to be the hands of Jesus in times of crisis and sorrow and they'll receive the love and care from those friends as though from family. Your job as a parent will be difficult, so appropriate all the assistance you can by associating with other God-seeking believers. Start before your children are ever born introducing them to the Father.

The last few times I sat with Noah, I would lean over his crib, kiss his head, and whisper in his ear for him to ask God to make him whole. I told him I was sure God would listen to him. I believe God heard and honored that small prayer. You see it came naturally to begin training Noah in the way he should go. It's a family tradition…a family of God. Make it yours.
Papa Eller

2 Comments:

At May 19, 2005 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to encourage your family, and those of us with young children as well. I have followed this blog and have prayed and will continue to pray for your family. God bless you all.

 
At May 20, 2005 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an inspiration the whole family is to all! Thank you for sharing your faith, grief, and thoughts with us all. It has affected so many in such a great way. We all continue to pray for Julie, Ethan, and the rest of the family. God bless you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home